Blog

Lottery winner charged after man killed while sleeping on sidewalk

[ad_1]

Article content

A man who won a $1-million lottery after arriving as an immigrant to Canada has been charged after a homeless man was run over and killed while sleeping on a downtown sidewalk last month.

Article content

Toronto Police say, on Nov. 14 just after 6:30 a.m., a black SUV was travelling northbound on Scott St. and stopped at Wellington St. E. The vehicle proceeded north and mounted the curb.

Article content

Cops say the SUV then struck a 57-year-old pedestrian, who was sleeping on the southeast corner of the intersection.

The victim was transported to hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Recommended from Editorial

Police say the driver and vehicle were located by the public the same day of the incident.

On Wednesday, Olateju Ogunwomoju, 63, of Mississauga, was arrested and charged with failing to stop at an accident causing death.

According to a report, Ogunwomoju had recently arrived in Canada from Nigeria and won a $1-million prize from a Lotto 6/49 draw on Oct. 21, 2017.

“We’ve been here just under two years and I’m already a millionaire,” Ogunwomoju told OLG officials in Toronto at the time.

RECOMMENDED VIDEO

We apologize, but this video has failed to load.

He said he planned to buy a home with his winnings, and also pay for his daughters’ education.

“I feel so privileged every day to live in a country where my family is safe and happy,” he told lottery officials.

Share this article in your social network

[ad_2]

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button